Monday, September 10, 2007

September 11 - Remembered

September 11, 2001 - I was working at the Court House, we had just gotten done with a meeting. Someone said that some planes had hit some buildings in New York. I was worried for the whole country. I just wanted to go home and be with DH and the doggies. We all couldn't stay away from the radios. I couldn't believe they didn't cancel work. I couldn't believe I still had to do Juvenile Work Crew that night. All of the TV stations were only running news or nothing. It was hard to get away from it all. I cried and cried - how could anyone do this to anyone, let alone innocent victims?

Fast-forward to September 2004 - I went to New York City with my SIL (brother's wife) and two of her friends. On September 10, we went to Ground Zero. I couldn't imagine going there on the 11th and taking space away from the victim's families. It was still a huge hole then. Most of the debris had been removed. It was so eerie there.
Plaques with the names of the victims were lined up on the fences, along with names of people who were still missing. It was hard to take photos - you wanted to remember, but you didn't want to be disrespectful.

Photos of the site from construction to the days after were lined up on the fence.
If you can't see - the banner under the flag says "We will never forget".

On September 11th, we took a night tour of the city on the top of a double decker bus. That night, they had two beams of light representing both of the towers. We were in Brooklyn looking back on Manhattan taking these pictures. These photos aren't great, but in person, you could see something floating up in the beams, almost like souls going to heaven. It was very moving.
I wish I never would have been able to see this site, in the case that it would have never happened, but I was glad that I was able to pay my respects.

You will never be forgotten.

3 comments:

beth said...

thanks for sharing this nicole!

Scraploft said...

Thank you, Nicole. We will never forget September 11th. The world became a different place that day. In so many ways...

~Jenn

Michelle said...

great thoughts, nicole! I LOVE your night time pics, that would've been amazing to see. and how thoughtful of you to time your visit to ground zero the way that you did!