Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Greenish Thumb

I am pretty good with plants. I can grow them indoors (some of mine I've had for 10+ years) and can grow flowers outdoors with ease (as long as I water them).

What has always eluded me is veggies. Dh and I tried them the first couple of summers we were in our house. We never wanted to commit to a full vegetable garden, but tried a number of container gardens. The most we got were a couple of small, rotten green peppers. We stopped trying veggies for a number of years.

For some reason, I decided to make a go at it again this year. This time, only two pots, with green peppers (dh's favorite) and tomatoes (my favorite). They are on the deck, so I can see when they need watering. So far - so good! I have three peppers and a bunch of flowers on the one, and a ton of flowers on the tomato plant!

Don't you love my rain gauge! My mom kept bugging us about how much water we've gotten. I found this cute one from Seasons of Cannon Falls in a cute little store in Spooner, WI. I loved it so much, I had to have it! It'll look even cuter when the tomatoes come in. Now we know exactly how much rain we've gotten - or haven't gotten in the past couple of weeks!
Oh, and ignore the grass behind the plant - we're letting it go for the most part. This heat has been too much to keep up with watering!

No comments: