Thursday, February 08, 2007

You May Kiss the Bride?

Every day when I go and get the mail for work, I listen to FM107. Kevyn Burger is on and she usually has entertaining and interesting discussions. Today the discussion was about the internet and questionable material being readily available for kids. This woman called in about how she and her kids had googled their names for fun and a lot of adult websites had come up. Then, the shocker came up. I assumed her kids were between the ages of 8 and 12. No, they were 17 and 19!! Doesn't that seem a little old to have so much supervision on the computer? Especially the 19 year old. Then the woman went on to say that her 17 year old daughter had an article coming out in a magazine about how she's saving herself for marriage - including KISSING! I've heard of purity, but this seems a little extreme. I was always taught to wait until marriage to have sex, not kissing. Kevyn went on to ask about this stance and the idea behind it. The mother said that it was her daughter's idea, but I'm sure that the parent's had some influence on it. She said that they had reinforced not giving yourself physically until you are married. I guess technically that would include kissing. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't end up in some of the situations they have been in if it didn't start with a kiss. And why do we draw the line at sex? Why not kissing? I'm not regretful about anyone that I kissed and kissing only got me in trouble once. The woman's point is that men's hormones are so strong that it is hard for them to stop at kissing. Wouldn't kissing before marriage then help you with restraint and reinforce that kissing doesn't always lead to sex? Can you imagine that every morning when you gave your husband a kiss when you left for work that it would mean you had to have sex? And are men such animals that they can't control themselves? I just thought this was an interesting subject and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. If my Grandma gives me a kiss, are we going to get it on? I mean, come on! On the one hand, I'd like to give guys more credit, on the other hand, well, they're guys! Good luck to those of you raising teenagers, I don't envy you having to deal with issues like this.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

so, did the mother say they were all online together? If those kids are 17 and 19 and mom supervises their internet time - she is probably still wiping their @$$ too. Those kids are in for a seriously rude awakening.

As a mother, I say that no boy is ever going to kiss my daughter. But drawing a line at no kissing until marriage is pretty extreme. I don't think I would teach my daughter to save her first kiss until marriage. Heck - it's too late! She kisses everyone. Kissing is a natural form of affection and if we don't teach kids what is acceptable behaviour they will never learn self control.

Bonita Rose said...

ppl choose to raise their kids in the way they see fit.. i don't think it's right to judge... to each their own is my opinion.

Nicole said...

I'm not judging the way she's raised her kids, just commenting on the idea behind waiting to kiss someone until their married. It's that concept that I'm struggling with. I think if that's what someone wants to do, good for them. I just dont' think I could do it or raise my (future) kids to do that.